Monday, October 1, 2012

Acts, The Apostle Question

After a my last entry, I have had much feed back and time for reflection.  This week there are a few things I want to clarify, then a few more points on the book of Acts.  In my last entry I asked some questions that when I received feed back nobody seemed to answer. The main one was, when did the manifestations stop and where in scripture can we back that up? 

There seems to be this prevailing thought that many think God only worked through the twelve apostles. Where do we find that. Now, I will not debate with anyone on the ideal that the church was established on the foundation of those apostles and they will be represented in the coming kingdom (Eph 2:20 NKJV) having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone,) In the ideal that there were only twelve who were with Christ who may have been called apostles and none since I would agree.  Yet I can not throw the whole ideal out that God uses people in an apostolic way.  Let’s look at what Paul had to say about this.

(Rom 1:1-6 NKJV)  Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God {2} which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, {3} concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, {4} and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead. {5} Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, {6} among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;

(Rom 11:13 NKJV)  For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,

Paul in several places sets the record strait about his apostleship.  I used these first two just to show you his claim.  I have heard from those who say to be an apostle you had to have seen Jesus.  In all my searching I could not find any place in scripture where qualifications are given to be gifted, or called by God other than being faithful and obedient.  I guess one could try to make the case in Acts 1. 15-26, that to be an apostle, one had to be with Christ during his earthly ministry.  That then would eliminate Paul, for he only saw him in vision. If seeing Jesus is qualification for being an apostle then everyone who claims they have seen Jesus could be an apostle.  We all know we cannot thrust in everyone’s claims alone.  Yet I would like to see where we get the ideal that only the twelve plus Paul were apostles, Barnabas is called an apostle in Acts 14.14.

Let’s look at the very word apostle. The Greek word used is apostolos, which means delegate; spec. an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ ["apostle"] (with miraculous powers):--apostle, messenger, he that is sent.  With this understanding I feel anyone who is obedient to the gospel and have a God called purpose on their life could possibly operate as an apostle.  A missionary for example going to a land that has not heard the gospel and establishes a group of believers could be considered an apostle, like Paul who took the gospel to the gentiles, establishing groups of believers.  Paul even said that we are ambassadors for Christ II Cor. 5.17-21.

Lets look at another scripture where Paul mentions apostles.  We should take notice in how Paul gives an account of the resurrection and those who give witness to the event.  He first mentions Peter and the twelve.  Which twelve is Paul talking about, Judas had already committed suicide by the time Jesus arose and appeared to Peter.   Was he referring to Matthias, who was chosen by lot not called by Jesus?   Then Paul mentions five hundred brethren, none of whom he mentions names.  The next verse he says James the brother of Jesus had seen Jesus alive.  In the book of Acts we understand that James was the leader of the church in Jerusalem.  Could he not be considered an apostle since many of the other apostles answered to him and the church council?  In verse seven, Paul tells us all the apostles seen Jesus alive.  Notice no number is given and the time line would exclude Judas and Paul from this group. He already mentions twelve so who was Paul talking about when he says all the apostles?  Paul then mentions his own testimony of seeing the risen Lord in his vision, and him being one of the apostles.  Is it me or does it seem that Paul is making a distinction here?  Not all the twelve were apostles, but some of the foundation apostles were a part of the twelve in which Paul was not a part of the original twelve.  My Point is this, if one is to make the case for whom is an apostle based on what we read only in Acts 1, that one had to be with Jesus, then the foundational twelve would have been completed in Acts 1, with Matthias by lot.  Then if you read it to be just those who have seen Jesus after resurrection (I Cor. 15) the number is more than twelve, including Paul, and maybe the five hundred.

(1 Cor 15:4-9 NKJV)  and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, {5} and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. {6} After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. {7} After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. {8} Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time. {9} For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Now, before you get upset at me, I want to state here that I do not believe in the abused use of the term apostle today.  There are many false leaders calling themselves apostles.  There is the false teaching of the five fold ministry. There are those who claim they have special callings who teach false doctrines, in which I fully disagree with.  This is nothing new Paul even dealt with this as well.

(2 Cor 11:12-15 NKJV)  But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. {13} For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. {14} And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. {15} Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

Paul used some strong language in the above scripture, and I think we should not be afraid to do so as well.  There are false teachings out there that only leads people into bondage and false hopes.  Those who follow such teachings always end up in despair and confusion.  This will bring us to another scripture from Paul that will help clear up this confusion and lead me to the point I made last time and want to make clearer. 

(1 Cor 12:27-31 NKJV)  Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. {28} And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. {29} Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? {30} Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? {31} But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

 (Eph 4:1-7 NIV)  As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. {2} Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. {3} Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. {4} There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- {5} one Lord, one faith, one baptism; {6} one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. {7} But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
(Eph 4:11-14 NIV)  It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, {12} to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up {13} until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. {14} Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.

With the understanding of what the word apostle means I want to make the case that God still have all aspects of His gifts working in the church today.  One would be hard pressed to prove otherwise with scripture. We do however need to look at what is said by Paul.  In I Cor. Paul makes it known that there is diversity in the gifts.  We need to understand there is a difference between gifts and manifestations and I will deal with this later. It is God who gives the gifts and chooses to whom they are given.  It’s not yours or mine to decide who gets what.  We are encouraged to desire the greater gifts.  Yet, Paul tells us there is something more important. I will deal with I Cor. 13 later.

In Eph. Paul does the same thing as he did in I Cor.  He lays out what is more important and what we should be looking for in knowing a gift that is in us or another person. He stress that there needs to be humility, love and an effort to keep unity. 

When I questioned the lack of true manifestations in today’s church, I said that maybe it was because the gospel was not being preached like it should in unity.  I was talking about manifestations and not gifts. I had many responses asking to whom I was referring to. No one is my answer to that.  I think if we take what Paul says here and begin to understand some basics, we can come to an understanding.  I feel it is very clear that there is only one faith and one God, well you can read it.  No mater what, almost everyone would say Amen to those verses.  Now, how that is defined becomes the many doctrinal differences.  I will stand firm in believing is says what it says. In Acts we find this was not a problem for they all followed the apostle’s doctrines. The basic message I was referring to in Acts last time was the simple message of Jesus the son of God who lived a sinless life, died and rose again to set all sinners free, then ascended to the Father with a promise to return and set of a kingdom on this earth.  This basic message has over the years been muddled up so much by doctrines of men that hardly anyone knows what truth is. Yet it is so plain in scripture.  You have to just open your eyes and read for yourself without your doctrinal glasses.

In the above verses Paul lets us know two things.  God through Jesus gave gifts to lead the church into truth that produces unity.  (It should be obvious that we are not in unity) Not one of those is mentioned to be finished or done away with.  They are all needed to complete the task that is before us. If you remove one gift you have to remove them all. Until we reach the unity in the faith we need all the gifts.  Who God chooses to give what gift to is not up to me.  However I have been given a measuring stick so to speak, to make sure those who claim they have truth and a gift do measure up. Like I have told many in my responses , it’s by God’s grace who He chooses to use and not mine to fight against.  Yet I will measure all that I see today by the Word of God, like the verses in Eph. Four. 

If you are not seeing spiritual manifestations, it could be one of several reasons and only you can answer for yourself.  Just don't dismiss them as not of God or not for today.  Maybe you feel you have the true gospel message but reject the gifts.  You may feel you have a gift but reject the true gospel (I am not sure you can have a gift without truth, but that’s up to God). Maybe you lack Godly love, or real compassion.  You might have the gospel, but you are not bringing people into unity.  I could go on an on.  I can only seek God for myself in these matters and desire the best God would have for me.  Who am I to judge another in their heart?  I just want to be found obedient to God and the faith.  Over the next few weeks we will look at the manifestations some more and I just want to be a humble servant as I present some thought and insight.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete! I have to say I haven't read the last couple entries before this one...so not sure what you talked about last time. I do want to say that I completely believe that all these manifestations are for today. I believe in the "Five Fold Ministry" gifts as "offices" so to speak. Anyone who earnestly desires the gifts can operate in prophecy, miracles, healings, etc... But there are those who are called into an office as one of the five fold ministry...apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists. I believe the word apostle is used very loosely in some areas, but I also believe there those that are called as apostles still today. I believe our pastor is one of those. I also believe when I come under cover with him and he transfers his anointing to me, I can operate spiritually with an apostolic anointing, although I am not called to the office of apostle as he is. I believe many people operate in the gift of prophecy...but not everyone who does is called to the office of a prophet...although some are. I believe my husband, Glen, is called into the office of a prophet. God designed the body to work in a particular way and I don't understand why some people still believe in pastors, teachers, evangelists...but want to throw away the others. Makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete