Monday, March 19, 2012

Tithe: The Christian’s Ball and Chain

The Tithe issue, yes I have to go there!   If we are going to confront any dilemmas and untruths in today’s churches we have to face the truth about our giving.

First of all if you have been reading and following my blogs you might think I am against the church.  That could not be further from the truth; I am a leader of a group and also active in ministry.  How one has church or what kind of church you may be comfortable with is up to you,   as long as you are not blind to the truths of the Word of God and history.   I am not saying that the way I may do things is the only way.  However if I were to be looking for a church to be a part of there are some things I would make note of and need to see.

First, is there room for those in attendance to be a part of the service, and obey God?  Is the pastor open to let others share before or after he speaks?  Can those in attendance ask a question for clarity in what is being taught?  Is the service tightly organized where there is no room for the spirit to move or is there opportunity for all of God’s gifts and manifestations to work?  Does the pastor put off the feeling that it can’t be done without him or does he understand he is there to facilitate the presence of God’s spirit. If there is no room for God’s people to grow in their gifts and the manifestations then I wish to have no part.

Second, how do they teach giving, and how much emphasis do they put on ones tithing?  Do they spend a lot of time on offerings making you feel like you have to give?   Do they use the word cursed if you don’t or that is the only way to be blessed?  Do they use stories and examples to play on your emotions, to get you to give?  Do they make you feel like the church is not going to make it if you don’t do your part?  Does prosperity and money seem to be the center of most of the messages? This kind of church I wish to have no part of.  (These are not the only things I look at but they are a large part of it.)

 Don’t miss understand me, there is room for us to make the needs known and we should have liberty to do so.  There is nothing wrong in the New Testament church with blessing the leaders in giving.  (1 Cor 9:9-11 NKJV)  For it is written in the law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain." Is it oxen God is concerned about? {10} Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. {11} If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? I will deal a little more on this later.

I will not condemn any church if they take up an offering, just don’t make a whole service out of it. In our services I have made the choice not to take up space in an already short service for offerings.  The basket is at the door for those to give as they come in, and at the front for those who give during worship time.  Some may scoff at this but we have never lost any revenue from those that were properly taught in giving.  As a matter of fact at times the giving increased.  In the church where I was the pastor in Missouri I did not like to take up the offerings and would not make it an issue.  I let elders and others take up the offerings and they knew I did not want anyone feel they had to give to come to our services.  There were no stories or emotional pulls to get people to give, and at that time my belief in New Testament giving was still evolving.  I was still finding answers to my own personal questions around tithing.  

I can hear now all those traditional teachers telling me that one must tithe to be blessed.  I remember sitting at a round table discussion of ministers a few years ago and this issue came up.  I wanted so bad to speak up but after hearing the quick responses of those still hung up on the Old Testament teaching I just felt it would be better to keep my thoughts to myself. 

The first challenge I would make to anyone is, where in the Bible are we taught to keep any Hebrew laws as Christians. The word tithe is not even used in any New Testament context concerning our giving.  The whole New Testament was written by Jews who understood the Laws of Mosses, and not once do they teach the church that they should tithe.  I know that there are some of you that would bring up Hebrews chapter seven, but if you closely examine the context of the chapter, giving is not the point.  The writer was proving the priesthood of Christ.

Then there have been whole messages on Peter taking 3 hours to receive an offering to justify how some take offerings.  Sometimes throwing in that God killed a husband and wife for lying to the spirit in an offering.  (Acts 5. 1-11)  If one would carefully read the last part of chapter 4 and then chapter 5, they would see there is no mention of a service or an offering being taken.  In line with chapter 4 people were giving out of the generosity of their hearts, selling anything they did not need and bringing the proceeds to the apostles.  Nowhere in this setting do you see anyone asking or telling them to do it.  It was because of the deceit of the mentioned couple, trying to gain recognition for something they did not do, they were killed.     

Before I get into the scriptures let me share what began this changing of mind in me.  About 25 years ago I was a part of a traditional church that preached tithing on a regular basis.  I, even at that time was solid in my belief in tithing and how I was blessed and approved of God. (Boy did we miss the grace of God and I was sure hard headed).  My wife and I gave faithfully our tithes and for the most part way over 10%.  Yet it did not seem to guarantee my success in life, I still had to deal with sickness and anything else life dealt out.  I was doing what I thought was right at the time, even to the point of not only giving of my money but a large portion of my time to the church.  I was working for the Lord and paying to do it so to speak.  

During this time I was making an effort to go full time in ministry.  I had worked on an outreach program for months.  I did all the ground work and provision for a tent crusade in or city.  We had many guest speakers and many in our church preached for us.  I spent nights with it and even days watching our equipment.  Yet I was not allowed by my own pastor to preach myself.  Yet I was faithful to see the project completed though yet it was met with complete failure as far as I was concerned.  When I look back and consider the taxing it was on our church, and the families that were lost verses people that might have been blessed it was a failure.

While doing this outreach which I basically worked full time for two or more months, I received no pay other than God providing groceries for me to feed my family.  Needless to say we were behind on all our bills, including our mortgage payment.  I went to the church for help and because of the great expenses of the outreach I was told they could not help.  We were facing forcloser on our home if I did not make at lest one payment.  That very week I received a call to fix someone’s roof and mad just enough money to make a payment.

That Sunday as I always did, I sat on the platform, because I was on the praise team.  Our Pastor got up to receive the tithes and offerings.  He started out that morning with the famous scripture in Malachi, stating very forcefully “you are cursed with a curse if you do not pay your tithe”.  My heart broke that morning and the weight of those words pierced my heart. I have been taught this scripture for years and believed it was true for us. But, that morning my faith was shaken.  I had just enough money to pay my mortgage payment; if I gave I would be short.  My home was on the line, would God curse me because I was going to provide for my family.  I wept to myself and asked God “would you curse me if I did not give this morning”. 

What God spoke to me that morning started me on my journey in the study on tithe. (Now this is still an ongoing process.) I heard the voice of God so clearly and lovingly, “No son what good father would curse his own children, you are my son and not under a curse.  Go pay the house payment for I provided it for you”.  I did just that.

  The reason I call the article the ball and chain is just that.  Many ministries and churches use the scriptures out of tradition and for the forceful means of getting people to give.  No matter if by good intentions or not this is wrong.  There have been and still today many ministries that through twisting scripture get people to give largely to their ministry.  They tell stories and parade people in front of use like a good infomercial, playing on our emotions getting us to give our last dollar to their ministry. (What they are selling is God’s blessings.) All of this is not scriptural and I believe they will have to give an account for their lies.  In my time because I try to minister to the heart of people and know their condition, I have found that for about every success story about giving there is about 10 that ended in heart break and anger. (Note there are a lot of reasons for this and my point is this, giving is not a cure all thing.)  The way tithes and offerings are taught in most modern churches, brings God’s people into a bondage, hence the ball and chain.

 How is this bondage to the church and believers?  I personally know so many churches and ministries that use this to control their members or meet their budgets.  Ever since that day when I was struck in the heart, I made it a point to the best of my ability never to make anyone feel as I did that morning.  Many churches have made people feel of less value because they do not give what is expected of them.  There are churches will not let anyone serve unless they have a clear record of tithes.  Like a score card is kept so they can use it against them.  Only those special people who give regularly get help and blessings from the Lord or church.  I have heard judgments passed on those who are struggling because they don’t tithe, no matter how much they may have given in the past.  I have even seen pastors refuse to even pray for individuals because they did not tithe.  I find all this wrong and nowhere in scripture, had God poured wrath out on individuals just because they did not tithe, especially in the church of Jesus Christ.  Before you bring up Malachi, read the whole book and get understanding who he is talking to in the context of the group God was addressing.

In the Old Testament, wrath and curses where often directed more towards leaders than the rest of the people.  The blessings and curses were not tied solely to ones giving, but the keeping of the whole law.  Under the law ones giving were just a part of a whole system of worship and could be summed up in the faith of the Hebrew people.  It was called the Shema; every Hebrew was taught this from their youth and could quote it.  (Deu 6:4-9 NKJV)  "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! {5} "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. {6} "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. {7} "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. {8} "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. {9} "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Jesus himself quoted it in Mark 12.29-31.  Everything they did was based on their understanding of God and doing what was commanded out of love.  Now this is another whole subject and may we will look at it later.
  
Now let’s look at the word of God concerning this matter.  First in the New Testament church, the four gospels are still under the law and so was Jesus until he fulfilled it at the cross.   Like I said earlier tithe is not taught by the New Testament writers.  (1 Cor 16:1-4 NKJV)  Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: {2} On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. {3} And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem. {4} But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.  Tithe is not mentioned here and this was a collection for the poor in Jerusalem.  Please do not get me wrong, I am not telling you that you should not give.  But, as you will see believers should be great givers from their heart.

(2 Cor 9:6-15 NKJV)  But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. {7} So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. {8} And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. {9} As it is written: "He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever." {10} Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness, {11} while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God. {12} For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God, {13} while, through the proof of this ministry, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal sharing with them and all men, {14} and by their prayer for you, who long for you because of the exceeding grace of God in you. {15} Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 

Here Paul is teaching us to be good givers and in our giving, the needs of others and the ministry is met.  It is evident that the church at Corinth was good givers, and did not hold back. Yet there is no mention of tithe and blessing and grace is shown to all.  Some today try to teach a thing about seed giving and this scripture does not support that.  Two points are made in sowing and reaping.  The first is you get out only what you put in, this is a simple farming principle, and if you do not invest you can’t expect to get increase.  This principle works in all areas of life.  The second point is, that it is God who has blessed us all and gives each one the ability to prosper, and if that is not working for you, then get with the Father and find out why.  One other thing about those who are asking you to sow into their ministry saying it is good ground.  I come from a long line of family farmers on my mother’s side, and as a child spent a lot of time on the farm.  You don’t sow your seed in someone else’s land unless you have a contract agreement, other wise you lose your rights to its harvest. In a farm agreement one may sow seed into another’s land and the land owner only gets a portion of the harvest.  Think about this before you give to someone who says sow into their ministry.

(Phil 4:15-20 NKJV)  Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. {16} For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. {17} Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. {18} Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. {19} And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. {20} Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. 

Paul is thanking the church at Philippi for their giving.  Here we can understand that Paul did not ask for it, and how God was pleased with their generous giving, and understands its sacrifice, yet tithes are not mentioned.

Continued next week, don’t miss it!

2 comments:

  1. Mat_23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
    Luk_11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.


    It appears to me that Jesus clearly states that you OUGHT to tithe AND not leave out the wieghtier things.

    He is speaking to the pharasees who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel. They were majoring on the minors, so to speak. The were more concerned with appearance (the outside of the cup/tomb) while failing to realize that the inside was filthy/full of death.
    The point is that all that we do should be done from the heart of love. If you are giving, be it tithing or offering, to get (more money/acceptance, etc) you will be sadly disappointed. As you pointed out, you reap what you sow: law of sin and death, you get, sin and death; grace, you get, grace; mercy, you get, mercy; judgement, you get judgement; discord, you get, discord.
    My experience has been quite different from yours. I have often (wish I could say always) trusted the Lord rather than what I had in my hand and watched Him supply an abundance when I was faithful to tithe from what was 'just enough' to pay the bill. When I gave my tithe with a heart that was saying, "Lord, I trust You. Just as You supplied this, You will supply the remainder necessary." I give my tithe regardless of what my bank account says because I believe that is right according to the Word. (Not to receive a blessing) He never fails to meet my need and I can honestly say, He has opened the windows of heaven and poured out blessing that overflows.
    Again and again, I have watched as people trust the Lord to provide and give their tithe out of obedience, the Lord meets the need. When they withhold their tithe, in disobedience, the money is their hand is never enough.
    No I do not believe that God curses people. But I do believe that you can be cursed with a curse of your own doing. Even Jesus had to learn obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revisiting this issue and was glad to find it still on your blog. Having read or reread all the entries, you make some good points.
    Interestingly enough, you brought out the thing I have been looking at, the subject of priests, which is why I was revisiting this issue.
    All of us being kings and priests to our God in conjunction with being the temple of His presence has me not so much rethinking tithes and offerings, but where to give-period.
    So, I humbly receive this word now and greatly appreciate the study you have put into it.
    In His Great Grace,

    ReplyDelete